Minutes of the Meeting of WOODGREEN PARISH COUNCIL

Held in the Committee Room at Woodgreen Village Hall on Tuesday 5th December 2017 at 7.30pm

Members present: Chairman Stewart Hall (SH), Ed Hollinghurst (EH), John Sanger (JS), John Clarke (JC) and Sue Allpress (SA).

Also present: Vicky Eden (Clerk) and County Cllr Edward Heron

17.213 Apologies for Absence: Apologies were received and accepted from Cllr Pete Skinner (PS)

17.214 Declarations of interest:  JS for NPA Development Control Planning Committee. SH for planning at Finches Brook Lane.

17.215 Minutes of previous meeting on 07/11/2017: The previous minutes were reviewed. It was then unanimously RESOLVED that these updated minutes be accepted as an accurate record and were duly signed by the Chairman.

17.216 Matters arising from previous minutes:

  • Water leak in Hall’s Field - SH gave an update. It was agreed that it was the parish council’s obligation to be responsible for the water supply to the village shop and Hall’s Field as the parish council owns the land and has an obligation to the tenant who rents Hall’s Field. However SH will liaise further with the Woodgreen Community Shop Association (WCSA) to look at ways to minimise/prevent water leaks in the future. The Clerk will also check to see whether leaks can be covered by insurance and whether water supply is mentioned in the current leases in place.
  • WPC email addresses - The clerk confirmed that these can now be accessed by logging into website but the members advised that they would prefer parish council emails to be redirected to their private addresses. Clerk to research to see if future General Data Protection Regulation requirements can be met if redirecting email to private email addresses and report back at next meeting..
  • Woodgreen Welcome Packs - Comments have been collated and amendments have been agreed with Kirsten Davies and David Mussell. New formatting the Welcome Packs is being considered and the final version should be ready for use by the end of the year.
  • Woodgreen Christmas Tree Festival - As per previous years, WPC entered the competition and the Clerk was thanked for decorating the tree. SA arranged for the purchase of the Christmas tree at a cost of £15.00 and the members RESOLVED that the parish council pay this sum.
  • Transparency Fund grant - Monies are to be spent this financial year, but research is ongoing as Clerk is currently liaising with the NFDC IT team as to most suitable equipment and software. A project will be undertaken by the Clerk over a four week period prior to the end of the financial year to ensure transparency code requirements met.
  • JC advised that the triangle of land in Densome Wood was Crown Land and therefore the council are not able to assign any tasks to the Parish Lengthsman to maintain this land

17.217 Public Participation Session: No members of the public were present.

17.218 Report by County Councillor: County Cllr Heron confirmed that all donkeys in Woodgreen should be branded and that the agister did not have any concerns that there were donkeys in the village which were unregistered.

A further update was given in relation to the Hampshire County Council (HCC) budget considerations for the financial years 2019-2020 and 2020-2021. The following areas are currently being researched to see if they can be more cost effective: community transport, school crossing patrols and recycling centres. Social care is a major concern and communities are being encouraged to initiate action where they can.

At the present time, it was confirmed that HCC is not looking for parish councils to contribute to the parish lengthsman scheme, although this may be reviewed.

County Cllr Heron advised that he may have some grant money available should the parish have any projects in the near future and that applications should be forwarded by the end of January 2018.

A brief update was then given in relation to the Reading Room but this is reflected under 17.224.

17.219 Update on Casual Vacancy: Notice of Vacancy has now expired and the Clerk advised that NFDC has confirmed that, as they have not received any requests from electors for an election to take place, the parish council should now co-opt a member to serve on the Council. The co-option should be made as soon as practicable. Poster is to go on noticeboard shortly with a deadline of 22nd February 2017. This is to allow applicants enough time to find out about parish council activities and the matter will therefore be considered at the March meeting.

17.220 Planning Applications:

  • Planning Applications Received:
    • 17/00995 - Hill View, Woodgreen Common Road, Woodgreen, SP6 2BQ - Demolish single storey side extension, two storey rear extension - Comments deadline 28/12/2017

The members agreed not to forward comments until the Case Officer’s Briefing has been published and the Clerk has requested an extension accordingly. The matter is to be added to January’s agenda.

  • 17/01014 | Replacement conservatory roof | FINCHES, BROOK LANE, WOODGREEN, FORDINGBRIDGE, SP6 2AZ Comments deadline 23/01/2018

This application has been received after the agenda had been published and will be considered at the January meeting.

  • Tree Works Applications:
    • CONS/17/1084 - Barns Farm, Hale Road, Woodgreen, SP6 2AJ - Fell 1 x Poplar tree - Comments deadline 07/12/2017;
    • CONS/17/1098 - Vine Cottage, Brook Lane, Woodgreen, SP6 2AZ - Fell 1 x Picea abies (Norway Spruce) - Comments deadline 12/12/2017
    • CONS/17/1101 - Mulberry Cottage, Brook Lane, Woodgreen, SP6 2AZ - Fell 1 x Robinia tree, Fell 2 x Holly tree. Fell 1 x Hawthorn tree, Prune 1 x Variegated Holly tree - Comments deadline 12/12/2017

After a short discussion, the members agreed that no comments were required in relation to these applications.

Other Planning Matters: The Clerk advised that other decisions in relation to planning and tree works applications were reflected on Correspondence – Appendix 1.

Parishioners are reminded to report any concerns in relation to breaches of planning online via the NFNPA website at http://www.newforestnpa.gov.uk/info/20041/enforcement/109/enforcement/4 or contact Clerk.

17.221 Roads & Ditches: Clerk has met with Bob Brown, Hampshire Highways and the issues below have been reported and have been/are being acted upon:

  • Pedestrian gate cattle grid 51 - Enquiry has been passed to relevant HCC officer
  • Vegetation under bridges along road to Breamore - Passed to structures team
  • Lower Common Road - Road closure requested. It has been noted that the manhole cover is getting worse.
  • Dead oak on road to Breamore - The Chairman confirmed that the tree had been felled.
  • Verge markers by village shop replaced
  • Brook Lane potholes - Jet patching job raised
  • Vegetation on road into Breamore - Flailing job raised.  This overgrown vegetation was seen to be a major concern due to the safety of pedestrians using this route and Clerk is to see if the flailing will be done prior to the end of the financial year. If this is not possible, the parish council may consider using a contractor to make this route safe.

Highways had confirmed that they required further information in relation to problems with drainage in Brook Lane from the Common and Clerk is to advise that the camber of the road means that water is bypassing the drain.

It has also been confirmed that the verges near Densome Wood are the responsibility of the Forestry Commission and the Western Escarpment Conservations Area Steering Group (WECASG) will research further.

Other concerns now reported include: potholes near village shop; problem with the gully outside property on opposite side of village shop which is not carrying away rainwater and a drain head is missing opposite the entrance to the cemetery.

Parishioners are reminded to report any concerns online via the Hampshire County Council (HCC) website at http://www3.hants.gov.uk/roadproblems or contact Clerk.

JC also advised that the Forestry Commission are considering the possibility of allowing residents with access to the track on Lower Common Road more room to access their properties. However, they would only consider this if an equivalent amount of additional grazing could be obtained nearby. This might be obtained by closing off the top entrance to the track but they will be liaising with homeowners directly.

17.222 Hedges and Footpaths:

  1. It has been noted that much work has been undertaken throughout the village in relation to the trimming of hedges and the parish councillors wished to express their thanks to all the villagers concerned. Parishioners are reminded to report any concerns in relation to Rights of Way online via the HCC website at https://www.hants.gov.uk/landplanningandenvironment/rightsofway/reportaproblem  or contact Clerk.

It was noted that the Forestry Commission had cut vegetation by the Castle Hill viewpoint partly in an attempt to reduce fly tipping and the members expressed their thanks. A builder’s bag full of debris is still to be removed at the cemetery and will be reported again by the Clerk.

Parishioners are reminded to report any concerns in relation to fly tipping online via the HCC website at http://www.newforestnpa.gov.uk/info/20096/unspoilt_landscape/44/litter/2 or contact Clerk.

  1. SH and EH are to consider which footpaths are to be on the Cutting List schedule for 2018 and report back at the January meeting, in order to meet the 1st February 2018 deadline.

17.223 Parish Lengthsman:Clerk advised that next visit should be in January 2018 and that both members and parishioners can suggest and forward any new tasks to JS directly. EH suggested that the track into the cemetery may need levelling.

17.224 Cemetery Report: Three new enquiries have been received in relation to the cleaning of a grave and two memorial requests - one of which has been approved by the cemetery committee but the other is ongoing.

17.225 Reading Room: Response has now been received from loss adjuster to proceed with the repairs. It has been agreed for the parish council to pay the structural engineer (with reimbursement to follow in due course) but that further building invoices are to be forwarded to the loss adjuster for payment. The insurance company have also agreed that the most practical way forward is for the work to be placed with a single contractor and EH & SH will take this forward. JS raised concern regarding the council appointing a contractor and felt it should be the insurers’ responsibility. Should costs be incurred that are either not covered under the claim, or the sum insured being exceeded, it was noted that the insurer will be utilising a specialist firm of solicitors to pursue a recovery of their outlay, and that they would discuss any uninsured costs with the parish council in due course.  They will endeavour to pursue these costs in addition to their outlay as a single claim to the third party/their Insurers.

17.226 Telephone Box: The Clerk has now received notice that the telephone is to be removed and the maintenance work will start as soon as possible afterwards.

17.227 Training: HALC training calendar 2018 was presented to the members. The Parish Council RESOLVED that the Clerk could attend training in respect of  Minute Taking on 31st January 2018 (£40 Plus VAT) and HALC’s Officer’s Update on 20th February 2018 (£40 plus VAT) - these costs (and associated travelling expenses) will be shared with the other parish councils that employ her. The Clerk will also attend the General Data Protection Regulations training organised by NFDC on 12th December 2017 in Lyndhurst and the Parishes Autumn workshop organised by HCC on 13th December 2017 in Winchester and travel expenses will be claimed back accordingly.

Clerk advised that model employment contracts are currently being rewritten due to GDPR changes and would research suitable training in due course.

17.228 Correspondence: The Clerk presented an overview of correspondence (Appendix 1) to councillors. Consultation periods were highlighted and attention was drawn to the following:

12.       Police and Crime Panel email to be forwarded to SA

22.       Recent Downton Link AGM minutes and general update to be forwarded to SA.

17.229 Financial report:

a)         Income: I N Newman - £100

b)         Expenditure:  Invoices received since last meeting to be approved & cheques signed: The members RESOLVED to authorise the following invoices and cheques were drawn up accordingly-

Cheque No

Payee

Details

TOTAL

 COST

939

Peter Kent

Structural Engineer Report

£510.00

940

Victoria Eden

Clerk's December’s salary and expenses (includes

toner costs)

£331.25

941

Michael Easterbrook -

Cutting Edge

Cemetery cuts

£160.00

942

SSE

Electricity to the Reading Room

£19.76

943

Bournemouth Water

Cemetery water supply

£39.13

944

SLCC Membership

Annual Renewal

£38.33

945

Woodgreen Village Hall

Hire of Committee Room

£15.00

 

c)         Budget: This was presented to the members for their consideration (and thoughts in relation to format) prior to formal approval at the January meeting, when the precept request will also be agreed.

17.230 Meetings attended:

JS        08/11/2017 - NF Marque Directors Meeting

SA       10/11/2017 - Downton Link AGM - It was noted that the charity was looking for volunteer car drivers at early times

JS/EH  13/11/2017 - WECASG - Explored Points of Interest in individual villagers and verge concerns

VE       15/11/2017 - Meeting with Highways

JS        21/11/2017 NFNPA Planning

17.231 Matters to be raised on the next agenda: Formal approval of budget and agreement of Precept request, ongoing planning applications, speakers and date for annual parish assembly, Cutting Lists 2018, review of website

17.232 Date of Next Meeting: Tuesday 9th January 2018 at 7.30pm in the Committee Room at Woodgreen Village Hall.

SH closed the meeting at 10pm.

Contact details: Clerk: Vicky Eden, 24 Lyster Road, Fordingbridge, SP6 1QY

Email: parish.clerk@woodgreen-pc.gov.uk Tel: 01425 655707 (normal working hours only please)

Minutes, including appendices and other documentation, can also be found on our website: www.woodgreen-pc.gov.uk

These minutes were approved at the parish council meeting dated 9th January 2018

 

Appendix 1 - Correspondence 08.11.2017 - 05.12.2017

 
 

Ref.

Date Received

Delivery Method

Received From

Details

Meeting date / Deadline / Consultation Period

 

1

08.11.2017

Email

NFNPA - Treeworks

Decisions - TPO/17/0862 - THE WHITE COTTAGE, WOODGREEN COMMON ROAD, SP6 2BD - Fell 2 x Cherry trees Fell 1 x Laurel tree - Grant

 

 

2

09.11.2017

Email

NFNPA

Consultative Panel Chairmanship

01.03.2018

 

3

09.11.2017

Email

HALC

CALL FOR NOMINATIONS - Direct Elections to NALC Smaller Councils' Committee

23.11.2017

 

4

10.11.2017

Email

NFNPA

PLANNING DEVELOPMENT CONTROL COMMITTEE MEETING OF THE NFNPA

21.11.2017

 

5

13.11.2017

Email

NFDC

Shining a light on local government: New Forest District Council is taking part in #OurDay

21.11.2017

 

6

14.11.2017

Email

NFNPA - Treeworks

CONS/17/1084 - Barns Farm, Hale Road, Woodgreen, SP6 2AJ - Fell 1 x Poplar tree

07.12.2017

 

7

14.11.2017

Email

NFNPA - Treeworks

FAO Tree Wardens - FW: Invitation to Charter Pole Event

25.11.2017

 

8

15.11.2017

Email

NFNPA - Treeworks

CONS/17/0938 - AMBERLEIGH HOUSE, HIGH STREET,SP6 2AR - Raise No Objections; CONS/17/0939 - THE OLD COTTAGE, HIGH STREET, WOODGREEN, SP6 2AR - Raise No Objections; TPO/17/0902 - MILLERSBROOK HOUSE, WOODGREEN COMMON ROAD, SP6 2QX - Fell 1 x Beech tree Prune 1 x Red Oak tree - Grant

 

 

9

15.11.2017

Email

NFDC

Forward Plan - December 2017

 

 

10

15.11.2017

Email

NFDC

Precept Request 2018-2019

 

 

11

16.11.2017

Email

HALC

Parish Council IT Health Survey

 

 

12

17.11.2017

Email

HALC

Police and Crime Panel - Call for evidence

13.12.2017

 

13

17.11.2017

Email

NFDC

New Forest District Council create new guide for aspiring local businesses

 

 

14

17.11.2017

Email

NFNPA - Treeworks

CONS/17/1098 - Vine Cottage, Brook Lane, Woodgreen, SP6 2AZ - Fell 1 x Picea abies (Norway Spruce)

12.12.2017

 

15

20.11.2017

Email

NFNPA - Treeworks

CONS/17/1101 - Mulberry Cottage, Brook Lane, SP6 2AZ - Fell 1 x Robinia tree, Fell 2 x Holly tree. Fell 1 x Hawthorn tree, Prune 1 x Variegated Holly tree

12.12.2017

 

16

20.11.2017

Email

Salisbury Museum

The Salisbury Museum is going potty!

 

 

17

20.11.2017

Email

Smaller Authorities' Audit Appointments Limited

Notification of external auditor appointments for the 2017-18 financial year

 

 

18

21.11.2017

Email

HCC

Rights of Way Vegetation Priority cutting lists 2018

01.02.2018

 

19

21.11.2017

Email

SLCC

Your SLCC Membership Renewal Notice

01.01.2018

 

20

22.11.2017

Email

HALC

Funding Update - Waste Prevention Grants

 

 

21

23.11.2017

Email

Age Concern

VILLAGE AGENT

 

 

22

23.11.2017

Email

Downton Link

AGM minutes and general update

 

 

23

24.11.2017

Email

WECASG

Draft WECA Steering Group minutes

 

 

24

24.11.2017

Email

HCC

Your Hampshire

 

 

25

25.11.2017

Royal Mail

NFNPA- Planning

17/00995 - HILL VIEW, WOODGREEN COMMON ROAD, WOODGREEN, SP6 2BQ - Two storey rear extension; 2no. Juliet balconies; 1no. rooflight; cladding; render (demolition of existing single storey side extension)

28.12.2017

 

26

26.11.2017

Email

Open University

Support for HomeStart New Forest

 

 

27

27.11.2017

Email

NFNPA

Consultative Panel Agenda

07.12.2017

 

28

27.11.2017

Email

BT

Completion notice: Woodgreen Telephone Box

 

 

29

28.11.2017

Email

Hampshire Highways

Important Information Regarding the Hampshire County Council's Hanging Basket Process

 

 

30

28.11.2017

Email

Fordingbridge Town Council

WPC - Parish Lengthsman information

 

 

31

28.11.2017

Email

NFDC

New Forest District Council is looking for private landlords to work with

 

 

32

28.11.2017

Email

NFALC

NFALC Minutes - 19.10.17

 

 

33

28.11.2017

Email

Woodgreen Village Hall

Woodgreen Parish Council meetings 2018

 

 

34

29.11.2017

Email

NFDC

New Forest District Council considers residential investment proposal

 

 

35

29.11.2017

Email

Loss Adjustor

Update on Reading Room

 

 

36

29.11.2017

Email

AONB

News round up from Cranborne Chase AONB (November 2017)

 

 

37

29.11.2017

Email

Stone Mason

Request to clean memorial

 

 

38

04.12.2017

Email

Job centre near me

Jobcentre Resource Link Near You

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Woodgreen Parish Council - Appendix 2

 

 

 

 

Financial Statement Prepared for Meeting dated 5th December 2017

 

 

 

 

 

Total all balances :

£88,243.66

 

 

Balances as at :

 

 

 

Lloyds Account

Santander (as at 01/09/17)

 

 

£12,718.60

£70,431.40

 

 

NS&I (as at 01/01/17)

 

 

 

£5,093.66

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Payments since last meeting date :

7-Nov-2017

 

Cheque No

Payee

 

TOTAL COST

936

Victoria Eden

Clerk’s salary and expenses for November 2017

£295.91

937

Cutting Edge

Cemetery cuts

£160.00

938

SLCC

SLCC Roadshow 01/11/2017

£27.60

 

 

 

 

 

Items for payment

 

 

Cheque No

Payee

Details

TOTAL COST

939

Peter Kent

Structural Engineer Report

£510.00

940

Victoria Eden

Clerk’s salary and expenses for December 2017

£331.25

941

Cutting Edge

Cemetery cuts

£160.00

942

SSE

Electricity for the Reading Room

£19.76

943

Bournemouth Water

Water supply at the cemetery

£39.13

944

SLCC

SLCC membership renewal

£38.33

945

Woodgreen Village Hall

Rental of committee room

£15.00

 

 

 

 

 

Receipts since last meeting date :

7-Nov-2017

 

Date

Received From

Details

 

81/11/2017

I N Newman

Memorial Request

£100.00