Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting of WOODGREEN PARISH COUNCIL Held in the Reading Room on Tuesday 4th February 2020 at 7.30pm

Members present: Chairman John Clarke (JC), Lance Benest (LB) (arriving at 7.34pm during 19/20.171), Sue Allpress (SA); Stewart Hall (SH), Ed Hollinghurst (EH), John Sanger (SA) (arriving at 7.34pm during 19/20.171) and Pete Skinner (PS) (arriving at 7.34pm during 19/20.171 and leaving at 9.38pm during 19/20.180).

Also present: Vicky Eden (Clerk) and County Councillor Edward Heron (arriving at 7.36 during 19/20.171 and leaving at 8.22pm during 19/20.174)

19/20.169 Attendance Book and Apologies for absence: The Attendance book was completed accordingly.

19/20.170 Declarations of interest: JS - NPA Planning Committee abstaining from discussion and vote.

19/20.171 Minutes of previous meeting on 07/01/2020: Following a discussion and review of the minutes, it was unanimously RESOLVED that the minutes be accepted as an

accurate record and were duly signed by the Chairman.

19/20.172 Matters arising from previous minutes not appearing as agenda items: 

  1. Annual Parish Meeting - The village hall to be booked for Tuesday 28th April 2020 at 7pm. Councillors to forward suggestions for speakers to the Clerk.

  2. Dog Fouling - Approach adopted by another parish noted. Cty Cllr Heron advised Clerk to keep the district dog warden updated.

  3. Annual Litter Pick 2020 - Date agreed later in meeting (see 19/20.181.r.).

  4. IT - Concerns have been raised in relation to communication as original hosting company has been bought out by larger companies. Clerk is to be contact for all IT companies (including hosting and domain name). Members are to monitor their email usage, although additional storage is to be researched.

  5. Clerk’s appraisal - This was undertaken on 22nd January 2020. As previously recorded in last month’s minutes, Clerk’s intention to resign was discussed.

  6. It has been noted that the excess water outside of the Reading Room appears to be coming from a local drain. This is to be researched further.

  7. Post at Breamore Mill bridge now replaced.

  8. Electoral Review - Consultation ends 2nd March 2020. The Chairman gave an update following correspondence from a local parish. Following discussion, the members agreed that it would be more beneficial for local rural parishes to work together within a ward due to the commonality between rural parishes - it was agreed that common interests are more important than number of electors per ward. The Chairman is to forward a response following further liaison with members accordingly.

19/20.173 Public Participation Session: None present

19/20.174 District and County Councillor: Members highlighted a number of concerns in relation to the maintenance of roads within the village as follows:

  • The recent work in relation to the blocked drain and excess water down Lower Common Road was raised. It was felt that communication has been poor as to the work undertaken and it is not known what work is still outstanding. LB is to raise a new enquiry, copying in the Cty Cllr.

  • The members are very disappointed that potholes have reappeared in the High Street particularly as they have only recently been repaired. LB to report online.

  • Signage on Moot Lane is not seen as a hazard but is clearly pointing in the wrong direction. Clerk to forward concern to Cty Cllr.

  • Work scheduled near Castle Hill has been postponed but again communication has not been clear.

In short, members expressed their dissatisfaction that communication between the parish and Hampshire Highways is not as effective as it could be. Cty Cllr Heron advised that all concerns should continue to be logged online at http://www3.hants.gov.uk/roadproblems and that the County Council are looking at ways to improve communication. The Clerk noted that detailed weekly reports would be useful (similar to those produced by planning).

19/20.175 Planning

a)    Planning Applications: None received

b)    Tree Works Applications: 


Case Ref:

TPO/20/0016 (Comments deadline    6th February 2020)

Proposed Works:

Fell 1 x Beech tree, Prune 2 x Oak trees

Site Address:

Densome Farm, Upper Densome Wood, Woodgreen, SP6 2QU


Case Ref:

TPO/20/0017 (Comments deadline    7th February 2020)

Proposed Works:

Fell 2 x Turkey Oak trees, Fell 7 x Beech trees, Fell 2 x Holly tree, Fell 1 x Yew tree, Fell 1 x English Oak, Coppice 1 x Holly tree, Coppice 1 x Hazel tree, 

Prune 4 x Beech trees, Prune 3 x Holly trees, Prune 1 x English Oak tree

Site Address:

Densome Farm, Upper Densome Wood, Woodgreen, Fordingbridge, SP6 2QU


Following discussion, It was agreed that the applications reflected good management of the trees in the area although members would rather the yew tree was managed, not felled. The members would also like the landowner to consider planting further trees to replace those felled.

c)    Other Planning Matters: 

Decisions or no comments required - Planning: 

Application No:


Proposed Works:

Conversion of garage/store and extension to provide facilities incidental to the dwelling. Removal of dilapidated lean to structure

Site Address:

Warren House, Woodgreen Common Road, Woodgreen, SP6 2QX

Decision        Grant subject to conditions

19/00868 - Densome Cottage, Upper Densome Wood, Woodgreen, SP6 2QU - It was noted that plans have been resubmitted but that these new plans were not formally forwarded to the parish for further consultee comments. Clerk is to ascertain date of next Planning Committee meeting and forward to members accordingly, as a representative from the parish hopes to be present.

Decisions or no comments required - Treeworks: 

Case Ref:


Proposed Works:

Prune 1 x Beech, Prune 1 x Ash Tree, Fell 1 x Lawson Conifer tree, Pollard 1 x Weeping Willow tree, Fell 1 x Goat Willow tree

Site Address:

Homestead, High Street, Woodgreen, SP6 2AU

Decision        Raise no objections

Case Ref:


Proposed Works:

Fell 2 x Oak trees; Fell 5 x Birch trees; Fell 1 x Scots Pine tree; Fell 3 x Sweet Chestnut trees

Site Address:

The Long House, Warren Copse, Woodgreen, SP6 2QY 

Decision        Raise no objections

Parishioners are reminded to report any concerns in relation to breaches of planning online via the NFNPA website at http://www.newforestnpa.gov.uk/info/20041/enforcement/109/enforcement/4 or contact Clerk.

19/20.177 Roads, Ditches, Hedges and Footpaths

  1. LB provided an update further to 19/20.174 above, confirming that he will resubmit concerns, with photographs) in relation to the drain on Lower Common Road (quoting original reference).

  2. The damaged manhole by the Reading Room will also be reported. 

  3. Work to be undertaken near Castle Hill is to be monitored.

  4. The Clerk advised that she has reported the damaged gate at the cattle grid on road to Breamore 

  5. The Clerk is to contact Bournemouth Water in relation to the water which appears to be coming out of the road near the church.

  6. The damaged ‘Beware of Horses’ sign has been reported.

  7. Further research is to be undertaken in relation to clearance of ditches near the Reading Room. 

  8. A resident has also asked if dragons teeth can be installed near the entrance to Brook Lane, leading from Castle Hill.

  9. The Woodgreen village sign will be replaced on a like for like basis.

  10. LB advised that he would report online potholes on the High Street, near Hall House and near junction at Castle Hill.

  11. It was also noted that residents have expressed concern in relation to the nailed on signs leading from the High Street on Lower Common Road.

  12. Joy riders at Godshill carpark. Dragon’s teeth are not an option but the situation is to be monitored.

Parishioners are reminded to report any Highways concerns online via the Hampshire County Council (HCC) website at http://www3.hants.gov.uk/roadproblems or contact Clerk.

Parishioners are reminded to report any concerns in relation to Rights of Way online via the HCC website at https://www.hants.gov.uk/landplanningandenvironment/rightsofway/reportaproblem  or contact Clerk.

Parishioners are also reminded to report any concerns in relation to fly tipping on Forestry Commission land either by telephone 0300 0674601 or contact clerk.

19/20.178 Parish Lengthsman: 

a)    Members were reminded to forward tasks to LB for next visit on 21st February 2020 and unallocated day 29th May 2020. As per previous meeting, suggestions for future tasks include replacing a dragons tooth on Grace Lane; replacing dragons tooth near Castle Hill junction and deepening ditches in Trims Drove. Further task to be added is the clearance of ditch at bottom of Grace Lane. Chairman will also order further dragons teeth from the Forestry Commission for use in the village.

19/20.179 Cemetery Report: 

a)    Update received from working group meeting on 29th January 2020, advising that fees and regulations are being reviewed. Next working group meetings to be held on 13th & 27th February 2020. Members approved interment of ashes into existing plot (J4) and Clerk advised that she was awaiting update following enquiry in December 2019

19/20.180 Reading Room: 

a)    EH advised that the architect inspected the Reading Room on 13th January 2020 and that a Certificate of Practical Completion of Works was issued on 20th January 2020. SH provided an update advising that the cost of repairing the Reading Room totalled £46,643.38 including professional fees and as this exceeds the insurance in place, the parish council agreed to forward all invoices to the solicitor acting for both the insurer and the parish council to recoup uninsured costs.

b)    Formal opening date on Saturday 4th April 2020. Members further discussed arrangements prior to invites being issued. JC, LB and EH to research possibilities for interior display. PS also has a good contact. RESOLVED to pre authorise a budget of up to £300 for the purchase of a projector and screen for the Reading Room. Clerk is to arrange service of fire extinguisher. Members also approved the use of the Reading Room by a local book club (facilities have been explained to those attending), with the Clerk advising that she had made the insurer aware.

19/20.181 Correspondence: The Clerk presented an overview of correspondence to councillors. 

  1. 08/01/2020 - NFNPA - Have your say on draft Habitat Mitigation Scheme proposals - Deadline for comments 19th February 2020

  2. 09/01/2020 - HCC - Hampshire Library Service Public Consultation - Deadline for comments 18th March 2020. The members would welcome the views of parishioners via https://www.hants.gov.uk/aboutthecouncil/haveyoursay/consultations/library-consultation

  3. 15/01/2020 - NFNPA - Date of the next NW Quadrant Meeting - 9th March 2020

  4. 16/01/2020 - HCC - Fly tipping information from Hampshire County Council 

  5. 16/01/2020 - NFDC - Householders surveyed for NFDC’s waste and recycling review 16th January 2020 - 14th February 2020

  6. 16/01/2020 - NFDC - £40k Rural Community Energy Fund - Application workshop 13th February, Lyndhurst

  7. 17/01/2020 - HALC - Employment Law Factsheet

  8. 17/01/2020 - Woodgreen Resident - VE Day party

  9. 19/01/2020 - Friends of the New Forest - Talk cancelled on 4th February 2020

  10. 20/01/2020 - NFNPA - WECA Steering Group meeting - 16 January 2020 - Provisional next meeting date 16th April 2020

  11. 22/01/2020 - Pensions Regulator - Time is running out, act now: workplace pensions re-enrolment

  12. 22/01/2020 - HCC - Parish Council Shelters Directory Jan 2020 (Deadline 31st January 2020)

  13. 22/01/2020 - Frogham Fair Team - Frogham Fair - 27 June 2020

  14. 22/01/2020 - NFNPA - New Forest National Park Local Plan 2016 - 2036 

  15. 23/01/2020 - HCC - Hampshire 2050 Parish Council Event 09JAN20

  16. 23/01/2020 - Hampshire Police - Please Share Your Views on Council Tax Contribution To Policing

  17. 24/01/2020 - HALC - HALC Annual Conference 18 March 2020

  18. 28/01/2020 - Keep Britain Tidy - Get ready for the Great British Spring Clean. Proposed date for annual village litter pick to be 18-19 April 2020. SA to co-ordinate

  19. 31/01/2020 - Downton Link - Agenda 6th February 2020

  20. 03/02/2020 - HALC - Rural Community Energy Workshop Fund - 13th February 2020

  21. 04/02/2020 - NFDC - Forward Plan February 2020

19/20.182 Finance:

  1. Review of Balances and financial position: 

    1. Santander £70,026.85 (interest added as at 01.11.2018)    

    2. NSI £5196.01 as at 01.01.2020

    3. Lloyds - as below:


Item Description



Cheque no. / Credit Slip


Lloyds Account Balance


Victoria Eden - Clerk’s Fees and Expenses - January 2020







Michael Easterbrook - Cutting Edge - Cemetery Maintenance







TP Jones - Pay roll costs







SLCC - Membership renewal







Cllr John Clarke - Purchase of goodwill gifts 







NDBL - Reading Room







Expenditure: The following cheques were approved and signed for:


Cheque No





Victoria Eden

Clerk’s Fees and Expenses - February 2020



Favonius Ltd

Architects fees 01/11/2019 - 31/01/2020



Reinvestment of 1 |year Investment Bond - Change of mandate now confirmed. Reinvestment form completed by all signatories and to be forwarded to Santander.

19/20.183 Meetings attended: EH/SA - WECASG Meeting 16/01/2020; JS - Planning 21/01/2020 and General Meeting 23/01/2020; JC - Affordable Housing - 17/01/2020

19/20.184 Matters to be raised on next agenda: Formal opening of Reading Room; Risk Assessment (including annual inspection of assets); Financial Regulations; Annual Parish Meeting; Grant Aid

19/20.185 Date of Next Meeting: It was agreed for the next parish council meeting to be held on Tuesday 3rd March 2020 at 7.30pm in the Reading Room. Apologies noted received from LB.


JC closed the meeting at 10.20pm. 


Contact details: Clerk: Vicky Eden, 24 Lyster Road, Fordingbridge, SP6 1QY

Email: parish.clerk@woodgreen-pc.gov.uk Tel: 01425 655707 (normal working hours only please)


Minutes, including appendices and other documentation, can also be found on our website: www.woodgreen-pc.gov.uk                    

These are draft minutes until approved at the next meeting