Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting of WOODGREEN PARISH COUNCIL Held in the Committee Room at Woodgreen Village Hall on  Tuesday 11th June 2019 at 7.30pm


Members present: Chairman John Clarke (JC), Lance Benest (LB), Stewart Hall (SH), John Sanger (JS) (left the meeting at 9.43pm during 19/20.39), Pete Skinner (PS) (left the meeting at 9.43pm during 19/20.39) and Ed Hollinghurst (EH).

Also present: Vicky Eden (Clerk) 


19/20.25 Attendance Book and Apologies for absence: Following completion of the Attendance book, apologies were received and accepted from Cllrs Allpress. 

19/20.26 Declarations of interest: JS for NPA Planning Committee.

19/20.27 Minutes of previous meeting on 07/05/2019: Following a review of the minutes, it was then unanimously RESOLVED that the minutes be accepted as an accurate record and were duly signed by the Chairman.

19/20.28 Matters arising from previous minutes not appearing as agenda items: 

  1. Review of banking arrangements - Clerk had liaised with internal auditor who advised internet banking would be appropriate for the parish council, with authorised members signing schedules. Clerk to research further with current provider.

  2. Millenium Project Update - Clerk to liaise with Woodgreen resident

  3. Update from Annual Parish Meeting - Following the annual parish meeting, residents are expressing concern on social media about crime in the local area (e.g. burglaries from outbuildings) and it was asked whether the parish council could do more. At present, the PCSO continues to hold surgeries in the community shop but these are not always well attended. LB agreed to post these PCSO dates on www.nextdoor.co.uk and the matter is to be raised at the next Quadrant meeting. Clerk advised that both members and residents can also register on https://www.hampshirealert.co.uk to receive updates from Hampshire Police about crime in the local area.

19/20.29 Public Participation Session: No members of the public were present. 

19/20.30 District and County Councillor:  Not present

19/20.31 Chairman’s Report: The Chairman invited members to consider ways to improve the parish council’s presence in the village, with members having more direct contact with parishioners. Several ideas were suggested including:    

  • Having a ‘Meet the Parish Council stall’ at community events (similar to those organised by Ellingham, Harbridge and Ibsley parish council)

  • Possible parish council surgeries, including a member being present during Hampshire Police surgeries held in the village shop

  • A poster displaying members photographs, responsibilities and contact details ton the village noticeboard

Following discussion,it was agreed that parish council surgeries are to be held from 7pm on evenings prior to parish council meetings commencing at 7.30pm. This information is to be reflected on future agendas accordingly. A poster with members details as noted above is also to be displayed on the parish council noticeboard. 

The members would also welcome further suggestions from villagers about ways to improve the parish council’s presence in the local community.

19/20.32 To review and confirm responsibilities of Parish Councillors 2019-2020: Means of contact were confirmed by members present.





Cllr John Clarke


Tel: 01725 512328

Planning, Cemetery & New Forest Consultative Panel


Vice Chairman

Cllr Lance Benest


Tel. 01725 511639

Planning, Roads, IT, NW Quadrant Meeting & New Forest Consultative Panel


Cllr Sue Allpress


Planning, Cemetery, Downton Link & Western Escarpment Conservation Area Steering Group


Cllr Stewart Hall


Tel: 01725 512315

Finance, Cemetery, Tree Applications & Dodington Trust


Cllr Ed Hollinghurst


Tel: 01725 512332

Planning, Tree 

Applications and Hedges, Western Escarpment Conservation Area Steering Group & Footpaths 


Cllr John Sanger

Red Cottage, SP6 2BQ

Tel: 01725 512033

Police Liaison, Ditches,  Lengthsman & National Park representative


Cllr Pete Skinner


Tel: 01725 511543

Maintenance of Council Property

19/20.33 Training: JC and LB now booked to attend Chairman training on 10th July 2019 at a cost of £60 (excl VAT) each. JC to also attend Planning training organised by Hale Parish Council on 20th June 2019 at a maximum cost of £45. The members RESOLVED that councillors could attend this training. NFNPA planning training to be arranged in due course.

19/20.34 Planning

a)    Planning Applications: None received

b)    Tree Works Applications: The following applications were discussed and concerns noted:

Case Ref:


Proposed Works:

Fell 7 x Western Red Cedar trees; Fell 1 x Sycamore tree

Site Address:

Rest Harrow, Woodgreen Common Road, Woodgreen, SP6 2BD

Following discussion, it was agreed to leave decision to the Tree Officer for this application

Case Ref:


Proposed Works:

Prune 1 x Turkey Oak tree; Prune 1 x Holly tree

Site Address:

Wild Close, Woodgreen Common Road, Woodgreen, SP6 2QX

Following discussion, it was agreed to leave decision to the Tree Officer for this application

Case Ref:


Proposed Works:

Prune 4 x Turkey Oak trees; Prune 2 x Holly trees

Site Address:

Warren House, Woodgreen Common Road, Woodgreen, SP6 2QX

Following discussion, it was agreed to leave decision to the Tree Officer for this application, although it was noted that the trees are currently masking light at this location

Case Ref:


Proposed Works:

Fell 1 x Holly tree

Site Address:

Hartfield, Lower Densome Wood, Woodgreen, SP6 2BE

Following discussion, it was agreed to leave decision to the Tree Officer for this application

The following application was forwarded after the agenda was issued:

Case Ref:


Proposed Works:

Fell 1 x Pear tree

Site Address:

Bower Cottage, The Alley, Woodgreen, SP6 2AS

Following discussion, it was agreed to leave decision to the Tree Officer for this application

Other Planning Matters: 

Decisions or no comments required - Planning:

19/00349 - Land Adjacent to Lea Cottage, High Street - Application withdrawn

19/00384 - Avon House, 11 Dodgson Close, Woodgreen, SP6 2BJ - Multiple Parish Info Only

Decisions or no comments required - Treeworks:

CONS/19/0349 - Hall House, Hale Road, Woodgreen, SP6 2AJ - Raise No Objections

TPO/19/0332 - Horse & Groom, Woodgreen Common Road, SP6 2AS - Split Decision

TPO/19/0343 - Hartfield, Lower Densome Wood, SP6 2BE - Raise No Objections

Parishioners are reminded to report any concerns in relation to breaches of planning online via theNFNPA website at http://www.newforestnpa.gov.uk/info/20041/enforcement/109/enforcement/4 or contact Clerk.

19/20.35 Roads & Ditches: Road closure on Woodgreen Common Road is to start on 25th June 2019 and work is to be done at night.   It was noted that a good job had been done in relation to the painting of bridges on the road leading to Breamore. A concern was raised about large lorries travelling through the village and Clerk is to write to the relevant company accordingly.

Parishioners are reminded to report any Highways concerns online via the Hampshire County Council (HCC) website at http://www3.hants.gov.uk/roadproblems or contact Clerk.

19/20.36 Hedges and Footpaths: Cutting Edge still to return in relation to costs to maintain Halls Field path throughout the summer but SH volunteered to look at immediate maintenance. EH is to liaise with landowner in relation to damaged fence on Trims Drove

Parishioners are reminded to report any concerns in relation to Rights of Way online via the HCC Countryside Access Team for advice.

website at https://www.hants.gov.uk/landplanningandenvironment/rightsofway/reportaproblem  or 

contact Clerk.

Parishioners are also reminded to report any concerns in relation to fly tipping on Forestry Commission land either by telephone 0300 0674601 or contact clerk

19/20.37 Parish Lengthsman: The Clerk confirmed that the Parish Lengthsman’s next visit to the village is on 24th June 2019 and a worksheet had already been forwarded.  Members were asked to forward on any new tasks to JS. It was noted that the fences on Gussage Copse may require maintenance and the members RESOLVED to preauthorise a budget of £60 for parish lengthsman materials if repairs are required.

The members also noted that the lengthsman is to look into incidents raised by online reporting on public rights of way as per guidance received from Hampshire County Council

19/20.38 Cemetery Report: Interment of Ashes to be held on 17th June 2019 and SH agreed to collect documentation prior to the service. A request for a memorial bench at the cemetery has also been received and further research is to be undertaken. Future cemetery maintenance to be considered at a meeting later in the year.

19/20.39 Reading Room: EH gave an update, detailing progress of repairs to date. It was confirmed that the corrugated roof is to be insulated but that the colour scheme for the Reading Room required agreement. Following discussion, the members RESOLVED that the Reading Room should have a painted (not plastic coated) grey roof and green walls, in line with the existing colour scheme. EH to advice Conservation Officer accordingly and liaise further with Chairman in relation to colours available. Decision in relation to suitable windows to be made in the future as quotes have been requested. Clerk advised that the architect’s invoice has been forwarded to the loss adjuster and is aware that an invoice is due from the contractor shortly.

19/20.40 Standing Orders: The members are to consider amendments to the term of parish council Chairmanship prior to August meeting.

19/20.41 Halls Field: The Clerk read out correspondence received from the Woodgreen Community Shop Association (WCSA) in relation to the recent water leak and will update the members when further information known. It was also confirmed that peppercorn rent has been received from the WCSA since 2011/12 and the members RESOLVED that these excess funds received should be given to Woodgreen Village Hall.

PS and JS left the meeting at 9.43pm

19/20.42 Correspondence: The Clerk presented an overview of correspondence to councillors. 

  1. 08/05/2019 - NFDC - Adverse Childhood Experiences Event - 10 July 2019 - PM Session

  2. 10/05/2019 - HALC - NALC/LGRC Expo- 6 weeks to go

  3. 10/05/2019 - Fordingbridge Town Council - Parish Lengthsman Scheme 2019/2020

  4. 14/05/2019 - NFNPA - Verges in the New Forest

  5. 15/05/2019 - NFALC -  Brewin Dolphin New Forest Summer Cycling Sportive - 29th June

  6. 15/05/2019 - NFNPA - Western Escarpment Steering Group. Clerk to advise new contacts

  7. 15/05/2019 - NFNPA - National Park parish survey. This is with JC

  8. 20/05/2019 - Pensions Regulator - Your legal duties: workplace pensions re-enrolment

  9. 22/05/2019 - Hale Parish Council - Basic Planning for Local Councils

  10. 24/05/2019 - Swanmore Council - What have you delivered for your Community?  Online Questionnaire - Deadline 14th June 2019

  11. 26/05/2019 - Downton Link - Summer Event and Training Evening 21st June

  12. 29/05/2019 - HCC - Superfast broadband. To be forwarded to all councillors

  13. 31/05/2019 - NFNPA - Western Escarpment Conservation Area Steering Group meeting - 20 June 2019. JC introducing SA to the meeting

  14. 03/06/2019 - HALC - NFNPA Parish representative North West Quadrant

  15. 04/06/2019 - NFDC - Forward Plan

  16. 06/06/2019 - The New Forest Shakespeare Festival

  17. 06/06/2019 - Downton Link Committee Meeting - 13th June 2019

  18. 07/06/2019 - Neighbourhood Alert - Make Sure you voice is heard

  19. 09/06/2019 - NFDC - Rural Housing Week

  20. 09/06/2019 - Waymark June 2019

  21. 20/06/2019 - NFDC - Remembering Srebrenica

19/20.43 Finance:

  1. Review of Balances and financial position: 

    1. Santander £70,026.85 (interest added as at 01.11.2018)    

    2. NSI £5154.77 as at 01.01.2019


Item Description



Cheque no. / Credit Slip


Lloyds Account Balance


Vicky Eden - May salary and expenses







Michael Easterbrook - Cutting Edge cemetery maintenance







Zurich Municipal - Insurance payment







HALC - Affiliation Fees 2019-2020







Cemetery fees





Cemetery fees





Invoices forwarded to Jack McNulty and the WCSA on 5th June 2019.

  1. Expenditure: The following cheques were approved and signed for:

Cheque No





Victoria Eden

Clerk’s salary and expenses for June 2019 



Michael Easterbrook - Cutting Edge

Maintenance of Cemetery



Do the Numbers Ltd

Internal Audit Fee




Reading Room Electricity 



Woodgreen Village Hall

Rental of committee room and hall


19/20.44 Internal Audit Report: The internal audit report undertaken on 11th June 2019 was received by the Parish Council. Content was noted and would be addressed throughout the financial year. Website to be updated accordingly.

19/20.45 Annual Governance and Accountability Return 2018-2019 Part 2 

  1. Approve and Complete Exemption Certificate 2018-19: Woodgreen Parish Council RESOLVED to complete the Certificate of Exemption on the Annual Governance and Accountability Return 2018-2019 as it meets the criteria of a smaller authority where the higher of gross income or gross expenditure did not exceed £25,000 in the year of account ended 31st March 2019. The section was signed by Chairman and Clerk accordingly and will now be forwarded to the external auditor

  2. Consider and Approve the Annual Governance Statement: The Parish Council RESOLVED to approve the Annual Governance Statement 2018/2019 The section was signed by Chairman and Clerk. Website to be updated accordingly.

  3. Consider and Approve the Accounting Statements: The final end of year accounts had been amended following receipt of belated bank statement, reflecting additional interest. The Parish Council RESOLVED to approve the Accounting Statements 2018/2019. The section was signed by Chairman and Clerk. Website to be updated accordingly.

  4. To receive dates for the smaller authority’s period for the exercise of public rights: Notice of public rights and publication of annual governance and accountability return will commence on 17th June 2019 and end on 26th July 2019 in line with regulations

19/20.46 Meetings attended: SH had attended a Dodington Trust meeting

19/20.47 Matters to be raised on next agenda: 

19/20.48 Date of Next Meeting: It was agreed for the next parish council meeting to be held on Tuesday 2nd July 2019 at 7.30pm. Apologies from SH were noted.


JC closed the meeting at 10.10pm. 


Contact details: Clerk: Vicky Eden, 24 Lyster Road, Fordingbridge, SP6 1QY

Email: parish.clerk@woodgreen-pc.gov.uk Tel: 01425 655707 (normal working hours only please)


Minutes, including appendices and other documentation, can also be found on our website: www.woodgreen-pc.gov.uk


This are draft minutes until approved at the next meeting