Minutes of the Parish Council Annual Meeting of WOODGREEN PARISH COUNCIL Held in the Committee Room at Woodgreen Village Hall on

Tuesday 7th May 2019 at 7.30pm


Members present: Chairman John Clarke (JC), Stewart Hall (SH), John Sanger (JS) Pete Skinner (PS) (leaving at 9.36pm during item 19/20.19), and Ed Hollinghurst (EH).


Also present: Vicky Eden (Clerk)


19/20.1 Election of Chairman: It was proposed and seconded for ‘Cllr John Clarke to be elected for the forthcoming year’. There were no further nominations and JC was elected unopposed. The Chairman’s Declaration of Acceptance of Office was signed accordingly. In a short address, JC expressed thanks on behalf of the parish council to SH for all his hard work during his time as Chairman.

19/20.2 Election of Vice Chairman: It was proposed and seconded for ‘Cllr Lance Benest to be elected for the forthcoming year’. LB had previously confirmed that he would be interested in the role. There were no further nominations and LB was elected unopposed.

19/20.3 Apologies for Absence: Following completion of the Attendance book, apologies were received and accepted from Cllrs Sue Allpress and Lance Benest

19/20.4 Declarations of interest: JS for NPA Planning Committee.

19/20.5 Public Participation Session: No members of the public were present.

19/20.6 Minutes of previous meeting on 02/04/2019: Following a review of the minutes,it was then unanimously RESOLVED that the minutes be accepted as an accurate record and were duly signed by the Chairman.

19/20.7 Matters arising from previous minutes not appearing as agenda items:

  1. Update on Spring Litter Pick 6th-7th April 2019. The Chairman advised that this had been a successful event and expressed thanks to all the 21 village volunteers. Litter is reducing in the village with only 6 bags collected, although there was one incident of flytipping

  2. Update on Millenium Enquiry - It was agreed for the Clerk to inform the Community Shop that, under the ownership of copyright laws, the Parish Council is happy for the photos to be used for the Village Shop calendar taking into consideration the usual legal restraints and residents privacy.

  3. Website Update - Clerk to check that all links and minutes are displayed correctly in good time prior to the internal audit

  4. Update following on from Woodgreen Annual Parish Meeting on 30th April 2019 - Some concerns were noted including:

    1. Should the meeting be paperless? It was agreed that this may not be practical at this stage but the situation will continue to be monitored

    2. It was noted that Hampshire Police have pursued incidents of joyriding near Godshill inclosure and that letters have been sent to last known addresses.

    3. Questions were raised in relation to the rent and maintenance of Halls Field. Following discussion it was RESOLVED that £150 is to be paid to Woodgreen Village Hall for this financial year in line with 17.187 (Minutes dated 3rd October 2017) plus £10 peppercorn rent received from the village shop. This matter is to be added to the next agenda for further discussion and clerk is to confirm how many years of peppercorn rent the parish council has received from Woodgreen Community Shop.

SH advised Rescue Rod had attended to a concern in relation to their repair of previous water leak.

  1. WI Tree/Preschool Garden -  Clerk has checked that adequate insurance is in place. A tree application has also been forwarded by the parish council and the notice is now displayed.

19/20.8 Parish Council Elections held on 2nd May 2019: It was noted that it was an uncontested election

  1. Acceptance of Office forms forwarded to and completed by all members present.

  2. Register of Members Interests forms forwarded to and completed by all members present. Clerk to send to NFDC by 28th May 2019

19/20.9 Regulatory Documentation: The members RESOLVED to continue to adopt the existing standing orders, financial regulations, FOIA and GDPR documentation as revised models have not been issued in the last municipal year. However, financial regulations are to be reviewed once new banking arrangements finalised and a suitable email footer is to be put in place in line with GDPR guidelines.

19/20.10 Appointment of Internal Auditor: The members RESOLVED to appoint Eleanor Greene of Do the Numbers Ltd for the financial year 2019-2020 but agreed that this should continue to be reviewed on an annual basis.

19/20.11 Responsibilities of Parish Councillors: It was agreed to defer individual parish council responsibilities to the next meeting. JS advised that he wished to stand for positions within NFNPA and the members RESOLVED that they were happy to support him.

19/20.12 Training: Up to date training calendar is to be forwarded to councillors. JC and LB advised that they would like to attend Chairman training and Clerk is to be accordingly.

19/20.13 Council Insurance Policy: A renewal quotation has been received from Zurich Municipal at a cost of £1219.81 and the Parish Council RESOLVED to renew the insurance accordingly. A review of asset values is to be undertaken once repairs to Reading Room completed.

19/20.14 Planning

a)    Planning Applications: Planning Applications Received: None received

b)    Tree Works Applications: The following applications were discussed and concerns noted:

Case Ref:


Proposed Works:

Fell 1 x Douglas Fir tree

Site Address:

Horse And Groom, Woodgreen Common Road, Woodgreen, SP6

JC updated the members on this matter, advising that objections had been received from residents.

Following discussion, the members RESOLVED that they object to the felling of the tree. Clerk is to advise NFNPA accordingly.

Case Ref:


Proposed Works:

Fell 1 x Goat Willow tree; Remove deadwood 1 x Goat Willow tree (Exempt works); Fell 1 x Goat Willow stump; Prune/Pollard 1 x Goat Willow tree

Site Address:

Woodgreen Village Hall, Hale Road, Woodgreen, SP6 2AQ

This application has been forwarded by the parish council to NFNPA as reflected in 19/20.7 d

The following applications were received after the agenda was issued:

Case Ref:


Proposed Works:

Prune 1 x Holly tree

Site Address:

Hartfield, Lower Densome Wood, Woodgreen, Fordingbridge, SP6 2BE

The members agreed to leave decision to tree officer

Case Ref:


Proposed Works:

Prune 2 x Ash trees

Site Address:

Hall House, Hale Road, Woodgreen, SP6 2AJ

The members agreed to leave decision to tree officer

Other Planning Matters: Parishioners are reminded to report any concerns in relation to breaches of planning online via theNFNPA website at http://www.newforestnpa.gov.uk/info/20041/enforcement/109/enforcement/4 or contact Clerk.

19/20.15 Roads & Ditches: An online request has been forwarded asking for the Castle Hill salt bin to be refilled. Clerk also advised of the future road closure on Woodgreen Common Road and members agreed that the diversion may be inadequate leading to problems for both local and delivery drivers. Clerk is to return back to Hampshire Highways, copying in County Cllr Edward Heron accordingly.

Parishioners are reminded to report any Highways concerns online via the Hampshire County Council (HCC) website at http://www3.hants.gov.uk/roadproblems or contact Clerk.

19/20.16 Hedges and Footpaths: Concern raised about maintenance of Halls Field footpath at Annual Parish Meeting and Clerk is to ask Cutting Edge for costs to maintain this path throughout the summer. This task may also be suitable for the parish lengthsman. EH is to liaise with landowner in relation to damaged fence on Trims Drove

Parishioners are reminded to report any concerns in relation to Rights of Way online via the HCC Countryside Access Team for advice.

website at https://www.hants.gov.uk/landplanningandenvironment/rightsofway/reportaproblem  or contact Clerk.

Parishioners are also reminded to report any concerns in relation to fly tipping on Forestry Commission land either by telephone 0300 0674601 or contact clerk

19/20.17 Parish Lengthsman:

  1. JS provided an update following visit on 15th April 2019

  2. The Clerk confirmed that the Parish Lengthsman’s next visit to the village is on 24th June 2019 and members were asked to forward on any new tasks to JS.

19/20.18 Cemetery Report: Nil to report at present time, although it was noted that there are two ongoing enquiries. Further maintenance to be considered at next meeting.

19/20.19 Reading Room: EH gave an update. A further meeting has been held with the contractor, structural engineer, architect and EH. It was confirmed that foundations have moved. It is a requirement to put insulation in place and consideration will be given to replacement windows. It is now necessary for a building inspector to be involved with costs being paid by the architect and then recovered by the parish council.

Correspondence received from residents in the neighbouring property to the Reading Room was read aloud to the members expressing concern at the length of time repair work was taking. It was agreed for the Chairman and SH to visit residents to explain the current situation. The Parish Council will do its best to ensure repairs are completed with all haste.

19/20.20 Correspondence: The Clerk presented an overview of correspondence to councillors.

  1. 03/04/2019 - HALC - Governance and Accountability Practitioners Guide

  2. 04/04/2019 - NFNPA - Date of Next Quadrant Meeting 03/06/2019

  3. 05/04/2019 - UK Cycling Events - Advance Notice of Cycle Event 29/06/2019

  4. 08/04/2019 - HCC - Parishes and Local Councils Spring Workshop Update

  5. 10/04/2019 - Downton Link - Minutes dated 3rd April 2019

  6. 12/04/2019 - Wiltshire Council - Consultation on a Masterplan for The Maltings and Central Car Park, Salisbury - Deadline for comments 24/05/2019

  7. 17/04/2019 - WCSA - Water leak

  8. 17/04/2019 - Fordingbridge Town Council - WW1 Memorial 28/06/2019

  9. 23/04/2019 - HCC - Revised date for planned bridge painting works 07/05/2019

  10. 24/04/2019 - Downton Link - Spring Newsletter

  11. 25/04/2019 - NALC- LCR Renewal - The members RESOLVED not to continue with this subscription

  12. 26/04/2019 - NFDC - Substance Misuse Workshop 20/06/2019

  13. 26/04/2019 - HCC - Temporary Road Closure - Woodgreen Common Road - 25/06/2019

  14. 26/04/2019 - Protect Hale Purlieu Movement - National Grid VIP Project

  15. 30/04/2019 - HALC - Village of the Year 2019

  16. 01/05/2019 - Verderers - HLS Celebration Evening Invitation 22/05/2019

  17. 02/05/2019 - Residents - Enquiry as to when the Reading Room will be finished

  18. 03/05/2019 - HALC - Newsletter May 2019

19/20.21 Finance:

  1. Review of Balances and financial position: Santander - £70,000; NS&I - £5154.77

Lloyds balance brought forward



Item Description



Cheque no. / Credit Slip


Lloyds Account Balance


Vicky Eden - April salary and expenses







Michael Easterbrook - Cutting Edge cemetery maintenance







Bournemouth Water Business - Water for cemetery







T P Jones - Payroll costs







New Dimension Builders - 1st invoice Reading Room







Zurich Municipal - Insurance payment re Reading Room





I N Newman - Cemetery fees





NFDC - First Half of Precept




Invoices will be forwarded to Jack McNulty and the WCSA shortly.

  1. Draft Annual Accounts 2018-2019 - Presented to the Council prior to forwarding to the internal auditor.  These accounts are to be approved at the next meeting

  2. VAT reclaim amount 2018-2019 - The clerk advised that this was reflected on the draft annual accounts and a claim for 2018-19 would be forwarded following the internal audit.

  3. Banking Arrangements - Following the advice that there would be a charge for a parish council charge card, internet banking is now being researched and Clerk will report back at next meeting. New bank signatories to be agreed at next meeting.

  4. Expenditure: The following cheques were approved and signed for:

Cheque No





Victoria Eden

Clerk’s salary and expenses for May 2019



Michael Easterbrook - Cutting Edge

Maintenance of Cemetery



Zurich Municipal

Insurance 2019-2020




Affiliation Fees 2019-2020 and NALC Levy


19/20.22 Meetings attended:

  • Fordingbridge Town Meeting on 17th April 2019 - VE

19/20.23 Matters to be raised on next agenda: Standing Orders, Approval of Accounts, Banking arrangements, parish councillor responsibilities, Halls Field Lease

19/20.24 Date of Next Meeting: To fall after the internal audit, it was agreed for the next parish council meeting to be held on Tuesday 11th June 2019 at 7.30pm.

JC closed the meeting at 9.56pm.

Contact details: Clerk: Vicky Eden, 24 Lyster Road, Fordingbridge, SP6 1QY

Email: parish.clerk@woodgreen-pc.gov.uk Tel: 01425 655707 (normal working hours only please)

Minutes, including appendices and other documentation, can also be found on our website: www.woodgreen-pc.gov.uk

This are draft minutes until approved at the next meeting

DRAFT - Receipts and payments to 31st March 2019*
RECEIPTS 2017/18 2018/19
Sale of Assets £0.00 £0.00
Precept £7,513.00 £7,606.00
Interest Received £465.93 £366.86
Cemetery Fees £1,670.00 £940.00
Halls Field £250.00 £260.00
VAT refunds £0.00 £711.19
Grants £1,000.00 £0.00
Other £10.00 £42.00
TOTAL INCOME £10,908.93 £9,926.05
Staff Costs £3,521.49 £3,600.35
Administration £152.58 £410.43
Cemetery expenses £1,633.16 £1,643.14
Donations Section 137 £150.00 £150.00
Halls Field £0.00 £0.00
Reading Room £713.48 £157.01
Insurance £892.96 £1,001.25
Repairs £800.00 £1,449.95
Subscriptions £309.33 £330.33
VAT Paid £344.12 £227.14
Website / IT £548.34 £327.31
Training £36.34 £198.00
Other £226.36 £260.35
TOTAL PAYMENTS £9,328.16 £9,755.26
Balance as at 1st April £84,718.75 £86,299.52
Add total receipts £10,908.93 £9,926.05
  £95,627.68 £96,225.57
Less total payments £9,328.16 £9,755.26
New balance £86,299.52 £86,470.31
Lloyds - Ringwood £10,762.52 £11,455.54
Santander £70,460.34 £70,000.00
National Savings Bank £5,117.66 £5,154.77
  £86,340.52 £86,610.31
Creditors £41.00 £140.00
Balance to carry forward £86,299.52 £86,470.31
Earmarked reserve - cemetery £75,000.00 £75,000.00
Working Balance £11,299.52 £11,470.31
Total Balance £86,299.52 £86,470.31
* Awaiting internal audit on 11th June 2019