Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting of WOODGREEN PARISH COUNCIL Held in St. Boniface Church on Tuesday 1st October 2019 at 7.30pm

Members present: Chairman John Clarke (JC), Lance Benest (LB), Sue Allpress (SA),  Pete Skinner (PS) (leaving at 9.14pm during 19/20.117), Stewart Hall (SH) and Ed Hollinghurst (EH).

Also present: Vicky Eden (Clerk) 

19/20.103 Attendance Book and Apologies for absence: The Attendance book was completed accordingly and JS’ apologies noted.

19/20.104 Declarations of interest: None declared.

19/20.105 Minutes of previous meeting on 03/09/2019: Following a review of the minutes, it was unanimously RESOLVED that the minutes be accepted as an accurate record and were duly signed by the Chairman.

19/20.106 Matters arising from previous minutes not appearing as agenda items: 

  1. Dog Fouling - LB gave an update. Laminated posters are now displayed in various locations near the cricket pitch. Situation is to be monitored. Residents are reminded that dog fouling can be reported via the following link:


  1. Financial Regulations/Banking arrangements - This will be considered at the next meeting, together with the draft budget. Clerk to liaise with SH.

  2. Parking Concerns - These are to be raised at with Hampshire Police on either 6th October 2019 or 18th October 2019. Matter will also be raised in the Town and Parish Councils Survey (see 19/20.6 4)

19/20.107 Public Participation Session: No members of the public were present. 

19/20.108 District and County Councillor:  Not present

19/20.109 Planning

a)    Planning Applications: None received

b)    Tree Works Applications: None received

c)    Other Planning Matters: 

Decisions or no comments required - Planning: None received

Decisions or no comments required - Treeworks: 

  • TPO/19/0488 - Neterhat, Densome Wood, SP6 2QU - Prune/Pollard 1 x Oak tree; Prune/Pollard 2 x Sweet Chestnut trees Fell group of dead Sweet Chestnut trees (Exempt works) - Grant

  • TPO/19/0491 -  Tanglewood, Lower Densome Wood, SP6 2BE - Fell 1 x Macrocarpa tree (Dead - Exempt Works) Fell 1 x Oak tree (Dead - Exempt works) Prune 1 x Oak tree - Grant

  •  R14/15/19/0564  - Bower Cottage, The Alley, SP6 2AS - Fell 1 x Elm tree (Dead) - Exempt works

  •  CONS/19/0490 -  Applecroft, Brook Lane, SP6 2AZ - Raise no objections

Parishioners are reminded to report any concerns in relation to breaches of planning online via the NFNPA website at http://www.newforestnpa.gov.uk/info/20041/enforcement/109/enforcement/4 or contact Clerk.

19/20.110 Roads & Ditches

  1. SA reported that Cty Cllr Heron had advised that the potholes on High Street should be repaired w/c 30th September 2019. 

  2. LB advised that the roadworks website has been updated (www.roadworks.org is now https://one.network), reflecting future work planned although it was noted that there are some glitches on the new website.  

  3. JC reported that a surveyor has now looked at the collapsed drain near the cemetery on 27th September 2019 - its condition is to be monitored. 

  4. A resident also reported overgrown vegetation on the lane to Lower Densome which is affecting deliveries and Clerk is to write to property concerned.

Parishioners are reminded to report any Highways concerns online via the Hampshire County Council (HCC) website at http://www3.hants.gov.uk/roadproblems or contact Clerk.

19/20.111 Hedges and Footpaths:

  1. The Countryside Access Team has advised that repairs are required to a bridge (footpath 6) on a right of way and members agreed to see they could organise the labour as the repair is not a priority at county level. Clerk to write to team to see if materials could be delivered to the village (requesting that the planks are slightly longer, with a suitable mesh supplied) and confirm whether the Parish Lengthsman could undertake repair (on the next unallocated day 28th October 2019). 

  2. A permissive footpath fingerpost is damaged and Clerk is to see if the Countryside Access Team can supply materials and if the Parish Lengthsman can also undertake these repairs.

  3. Treeworks have been undertaken on Grace Lane on behalf of SSE on 10th September 2019 and it was noted that there may be a day before Christmas when electricity will not be available in the village. Advance notification will be given. 

  4. The fence on Pippits Hill, currently supported by the hedge, continues to be monitored. 

  5. The overgrown vegetation on Breamore Road continues to be a concern.

Parishioners are reminded to report any concerns in relation to Rights of Way online via the HCC website at https://www.hants.gov.uk/landplanningandenvironment/rightsofway/reportaproblem  or contact Clerk.

Parishioners are also reminded to report any concerns in relation to fly tipping on Forestry Commission land either by telephone 0300 0674601 or contact clerk

It was agreed that future agendas will collate Roads, Ditches, Hedges and Footpaths as one item.

19/20.112 Parish Lengthsman: His next visit is on 25th October 2019 with a possible unallocated day on 28th October 2019 available. Tasks are to be forwarded to JS (including a suggestion that the copse is to be cut at the back of Halls Field), and SH is to see if help is required with the maintenance of the former preschool garden.

19/20.113 Cemetery Report: Training undertaken by the Clerk on 5th September 2019 and cemetery working group is to meet on 24th October 2019 to discuss the content of this workshop.

19/20.114 Reading Room: EH gave an update. 

  1. Scaffolding is now down and it is hoped that repair work is coming to a conclusion. 

  2. Quote has been received to install paving slabs around the property although it was RESOLVED that slabs were only required at the front to ensure that the step is safe in bad weather. 

  3. Two quotations received for the installation of carpet tiles and it was agreed to take up the quotation received from Versatiles for the supply and fit of Triumph Loop carpet tiles, colour 611 Lovat Green, including new Exe Heavy Tread with entrance mat colour Coir at a cost of £518 plus VAT (noting that nosing to the door is not required and an appropriate deduction is to be made). Clerk is to order materials from supplier and advise that fitting is to take place once keys returned to parish council from contractor. 

  4. A new meeting table is required and LB is to put a post on Nextdoor.co.uk to see if a villager is able to donate a suitable one.

  5. Reading on electricity meter queried and Clerk is awaiting response from SSE

  6. Original documentation stored in the Reading Room is currently being sorted through. 

  7. It was noted that grass seed is not required for the garden as a resident would like to reinstate the vegetable patch in due course.

  8. The costs to date were discussed and these are to be forwarded to the solicitor acting for the parish council

  9. Possible ideas for reopening were considered.

19/20.115 Notices for Parish Magazine and Noticeboard: Notices approved in relation to vegetation cutting and bonfires, which are to be forwarded to the parish magazine

19/20.116 Correspondence: The Clerk presented an overview of correspondence to councillors. 

  1. 04/09/2019 - NF Citizens Advice - 80 Years of Citizens Advice

  2. 05/09/2019 - Register Office - Request to add links

  3. 06/09/2019 - NFNPA - Planning Training Event for Parish and Town Councils - Brockenhurst Village Hall - 4 September 2019 - 2.00 - 4.30 pm - Presentation - To be forwarded to EH

  4. 06/09/2019 - NFDC - Safer New Forest - Town & Parish Councils Survey 2019 - SA to complete on behalf of Parish Council

  5. 10/09/2019 - HALC - Policy Consultation E-Briefing 10-19 – 5G Mobile Coverage In Rural Areas Deadline for comments 11/10/2019

  6. 10/09/2019 - NFNPA -  The 15th annual Countryside Alliance Awards open to nominations - Deadline for nominations 08/12/2019. It was agreed to nominate Horse and Groom Public House

  7. 10/09/2019 - NFDC - Information Bulletin

  8. 11/09/2019 - New Forest Carbon Alliance - Climate Emergency: Turn Challenge into Opportunity - 8th November 2019

  9. 13/09/2019 - HCC - Parish News Hampshire County Council Update Sept 19

  10. 18/09/2019 - NFALC - : Gridiron 100k online registering event Sunday 13th October 2019. This has already been posted on Nextdoor.co.uk

  11. 18/09/2019 - Hampshire Constabulary - Rural Crime Event 6th October 2019

  12. 20/09/2019 - HALC - Policy E-Briefing PC11-19 – NAO Audit Code of Practice Part Two - Deadline for comments 8th November 2019

  13. 20/09/2019 - SM Defra Landscapes Review - Publication of Landscapes Review

  14. 25/09/2019 - NFNPA -  Building skills courses for residents

  15. 25/09/2019 - HALC - Equestrians in Hampshire

  16. 26/09/2019 - Go New Forest - What's On -  A new Enewsletter for events across the New Forest!

  17. 26/09/2019 - NFALC - NFALC Agenda - 17.10.19. It was noted that a representative from Hampshire Highways would be at this meeting and that the new regulations in relation to website accessibility would be discussed.

  18. 30/09/2019 - NFDC - Electoral Review of New Forest District Council - Briefing for Town and Parish Councils - 17.10.2019

  19. 30.09.2019 - Ordnance Survey - Your PSMA Newsletter September 2019. The Clerk confirmed that the parish council has an account in place for this mapping service

  20. 01.10.2019 - Fordingbridge Rotary - Quiz Night 12th November 2019

19/20.117 Finance:

  1. Review of Balances and financial position: 

    1. Santander £70,026.85 (interest added as at 01.11.2018)    

    2. NSI £5154.77 as at 01.01.2019

    3. Lloyds - as below


Item Description



Cheque no. / Credit Slip


Lloyds Account Balance


Victoria Eden







Michael Easterbrook - Cutting Edge







I N Newman







Woodgreen Village Hall







Sue Allpress














Zurich Municipal - Insurance payment re Reading Room





Favionus Architects







Zurich Municipal - Insurance payment re Reading Room





New Dimension Builders - 4th invoice Reading Room







NFDC - 2nd Half of Precept





Clerk advised receipt of donation in the sum of £50 to go towards maintenance of Woodgreen Cemetery. Thanks were expressed by Parish Council

2. Expenditure: The following cheques were approved and signed for:


Cheque No





Victoria Eden

Clerk’s fees and expenses for October 2019



Michael Easterbrook - Cutting Edge

Cemetery maintenance



T P Jones

Payroll costs




Data Protection Renewal



3. Reinvestment of 1 |year Investment Bond - The members RESOLVED to continue to reinvest £70,000 in a Santander 1 year investment bond, although it was noted that the Chairman must be a signatory on this account. Following discussion, it was RESOLVED for JC and LB to be signatories and for EH and PS to be removed from the account. Clerk to prepare and forward paperwork accordingly.


19/20.117 Meetings attended

  • JC, LB and SA - 04/09/2019 - NFNPA Planning Training

  • SA and EH - 12/09/2019 - WECASG Meeting. It was noted that JC was thanked for all his work whilst working with WECASG.

  • SA gave an update in relation to the activities of Downton Link

  • Clerk to investigate if JC is reflected as representative for NF Consultative Panel

19/20.118 Matters to be raised on next agenda: Draft budget (including banking arrangements and financial regulations), Clerk’s appraisal and update on Cemetery Working Group

19/20.119 Date of Next Meeting: It was agreed for the next parish council meeting to be held on Tuesday 5th November 2019 at 7.30pm (and not 6th November 2019 as previously advertised on agenda). Venue is to be confirmed.

JC closed the meeting at 9.21pm. 


Contact details: Clerk: Vicky Eden, 24 Lyster Road, Fordingbridge, SP6 1QY

Email: parish.clerk@woodgreen-pc.gov.uk Tel: 01425 655707 (normal working hours only please)


Minutes, including appendices and other documentation, can also be found on our website: www.woodgreen-pc.gov.uk


These are draft minutes until approved at the next meeting